DODSON, JASPER N.
DODSON, JASPER N. (1835–1865). Jasper N. Dodson, lawyer and Confederate cavalry officer, was born in Alabama around 1835, to Constant Dodson and Nancy (Small) Dodson. In 1850 he lived with his parents in Cherokee County, Texas. By 1860 he lived in Palestine, Anderson County, Texas, where he practiced as a lawyer. He enlisted in the Ninth Texas Cavalry's Company A as a private at Camp Reeves on October 14, 1861. He was severely wounded at the battle of Elkhorn Tavern on March 7, 1862. He was elected major on May 25, 1862. During the Ninth's march east to Mississippi in 1863, rain, snow, and mud slowed their travels, and Dodson became very ill. Recovery was slow; he was absent and then dismissed from service in January 1863 to recuperate. By August 22, 1863, Dodson returned to service in Mississippi, and the War Department elevated him to lieutenant colonel. This unpopular act caused resentment among the men, especially James C. Bates's and Thomas G. Berry's supporters. Dodson, recognizing the strong dissention, withdrew from command, and the matter was dropped. On October 2, 1863, he resigned from his position after claiming there were too many officers and not enough privates in the unit. Dodson was killed in 1865 while serving under the command of Bedford Forrest.
Martha L. Crabb, All Afire to Fight: The Untold Tale of the Civil War's Ninth Cavalry (New York: Avon Books, Inc., 2000). Richard Lowe, ed., A Texas Cavalry Officer's Civil War: The Diary and Letters of James C. Bates (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1999). The Robert E. Lee Camp #158 of Confederate Veterans, Fort Worth, Texas (http://www.rootsweb.com/~txtarran/military/robert-e-lee2.htm), accessed February 3, 2011.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephanie Piefer Niemeyer, "DODSON, JASPER N. ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdo59), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on March 31, 2011. Modified on April 5, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.