DUGGAN, EDMUND (1840–1911). Edmund Duggan son of Elizabeth (Berry) and Thomas Hinds Duggan, was born on September 19, 1840, in Travis County, Texas, but was reared in Guadalupe County. After attending school in Seguin, Edmund spent a term at Soule University in Chappell Hill, Washington County, before enlisting in May 1861 in what became Company D, Fourth Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade. He furnished his own horse and revolver; he was soon elected third lieutenant. In June the "Knights of Guadalupe County," as the company was called, were given a flag. At the close of the Civil War Edmund was Captain Duggan. On November 21, 1867, Duggan married Julia E. Coorpender. The Duggans spent the years 1867–77 in Guadalupe County, farming and stock raising. In 1877 they moved to Austin, where Duggan was a bookkeeper in the State Treasurer's Department. He resigned in 1881 and moved to Tom Green County. He became county and district clerk of Tom Green County in 1888, serving until 1908, when he retired because of failing health. The Duggans had two sons. Duggan was a Democrat. He was active in the Masonic Lodge and had a Knight Templar Degree. Captain Duggan was reared in the Methodist Church; his wife helped organize in the mid-1880s the Emmanuel Episcopal Church in San Angelo. When she died on March 16, 1929, three stained glass windows were dedicated in her memory. Duggan died on April 22, 1911, in San Angelo. He and his wife are buried in Fairmont Cemetery beside their two sons.
Alice Duggan Gracy, Thomas Hinds Duggan, Descendant and Ancestor (Austin, 1976). Joseph Benjamin Polley, Hood's Texas Brigade (New York: Neale, 1910; rpt., Dayton, Ohio: Morningside Bookshop, 1976). Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alice Duggan Gracy, "DUGGAN, EDMUND," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdu09), accessed January 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.