EGGERS, GEORGE WILLIAM NORDHOLTZ
EGGERS, GEORGE WILLIAM NORDHOLTZ (1896–1963). George Eggers, orthopedist, was born to Emil E. F. and Gertrude (Mensman) Eggers on January 28, 1896, in Galveston. He attended Ball High School from 1910 to 1913 and graduated from Rice Institute (now Rice University) in 1917. After two years with the 344th Field Artillery during World War I, he enrolled at the University of Texas Medical Branch, where he received his M.D. in 1923. He was instructor in anatomy at UTMB in 1923–24 and interned the next year at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. Upon returning to UTMB he became instructor in surgery (1925–29), assistant professor of surgery and orthopedic surgery (1929–31), associate professor of orthopedic surgery (1931–42), and clinical professor (1942). In 1943 he became UTMB's first professor of orthopedic surgery, chief of the newly established Division of Orthopedic Surgery, and medical director of physical therapy, a program he founded in 1937. He continued to serve in these positions until his death.
Eggers worked tirelessly to obtain funds for the construction of the State Hospital for Crippled and Deformed Children on the UTMB campus. When the hospital opened, he was given responsibility for its orthopedic services. Under his direction the residency program in orthopedic surgery at UTMB received accreditation by the American Medical Association Council on Medical Education and Hospitals in 1947.
Eggers published more than sixty articles in his field and designed numerous orthopedic appliances, including an internal splint that is named after him. He became a diplomate of the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery in 1937. Among many offices, he was president of the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy (1960–61), the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (1960–62), and the Texas Surgical Society (1948). He was also president of the Texas Orthopedic Association, the Clinical Orthopedic Club, and the Texas Rheumatism Association. In 1962 Eggers was elected president of the American Orthopedic Association but died before his term was completed. He belonged to the American Medical Association, the Texas Medical Association, the Galveston County Medical Society, the American Association of University Professors, the American College of Surgeons, the International Society of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, the Singleton Surgical Society, the Southern Medical Association, the Southern Surgical Association, the Orthopedic Research Society, and the Southwestern Surgical Congress, of which he was one of the founders. In addition to his elected offices Eggers was appointed chairman of the technical advisory committee of the Division of Crippled Children's Services of the state health department in 1948, a position he held for many years. He was also on the medical advisory committee of the Texas Rehabilitation Center at Gonzales and a member of the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors of the Texas Society for Crippled Children.
Eggers was an ardent hunter and fisherman, as well as a student of migratory birds. In 1923 he married Edith Sykes of Galveston. They had two children. On May 2, 1963, Eggers died in New York City, where he had been invited to attend the centennial celebration of the Hospital for Special Surgery as a guest of honor.
"From the Editor," American Journal of Orthopedics 5 (June 1963). Galveston Daily News, May 3, 1963. Samuel Butler Graham and Ellen Newman, Galveston Community Book: A Historical and Biographical Record of Galveston and Galveston County (Galveston: Cawston, 1945). Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, October 1963. National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Vol. 52. Texas State Journal of Medicine, July 1963. Who's Who in the South and Southwest, Vol. 4.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Patricia L. Jakobi, "EGGERS, GEORGE WILLIAM NORDHOLTZ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/feg02), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.