ELLIOTT, CLAUDE (1896–1958). Claude Elliott, teacher, writer, and historian, the son of Robert Mitchell and Martha (Smith) Elliott, was born at Cross Plains, Texas, on September 21, 1896. After attending Abilene Christian College, Simmons College (now Hardin-Simmons University), and West Texas State Teachers College, he began his teaching career at Sardis and Donna. He received his B.A. degree from Southwest Texas State Teachers College in 1923 and served as superintendent of the La Feria schools from 1923 to 1928. While at La Feria he pursued his graduate studies at the University of Texas, where he was awarded the M.A. degree in 1928 and the Ph.D. degree in 1934. He married Emma Edwin Moore at San Marcos on September 6, 1927, and joined the faculty of Southwest Texas State Teachers College in September 1929.
At UT, Elliott studied history under Eugene C. Barker, Charles W. Ramsdell, Walter P. Webb, and others. As a faculty member at Southwest Texas State, he was a great influence in the growth and development of the school. Although classroom teaching was his primary interest, he found time to serve as registrar and, later, as graduate dean. He wrote Leathercoat: The Life History of a Texas Patriot (1938) and compiled and edited a checklist of theses and dissertations, Theses on Texas History (1955). He served on the advisory council of the Handbook of Texas and contributed articles to the Southwestern Historical Quarterly, the Georgia Historical Review, the Southwestern Social Science Quarterly (now the Social Science Quarterly), and the Journal of Southern History. He was a fellow of the Texas State Historical Association and served the organization as vice president (1947–52) and president (1953–55). He died in Houston on October 1, 1958, and was buried in San Marcos.
Who's Who in America, 1952–53.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William C. Pool, "ELLIOTT, CLAUDE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fel10), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.