Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

ENGLISH, JAMES [1755-1825]

ENGLISH, JAMES (ca. 1755–1825). James English, frontiersman, was born about 1755, probably in Virginia. He spent his boyhood and youth in the New River area of Virginia and from 1780 to 1820 was an early settler successively in the frontiers of eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, middle Tennessee, and western Tennessee. He married Elizabeth Denton, from whose family John B. Denton came. They were the parents of William English, Rev. James English, John English, Joshua English, and six other sons, as well as of Hannah English, the wife of Jonathan Anderson. Most of their children were living in Texas by the late 1820s. Among more than eighty grandchildren of James English was George English. James's descendants in late twentieth-century Texas numbered in the thousands. In 1825 English visited his children already living in Texas, among whom were William, James, John, and Thomas, and decided to join them in the Ayish Bayou District of Mexican Texas. Having returned for his wife and youngest son, Archibald, he died in Arkansas on the journey to Texas that year. His widow and son traveled on to Texas and were living in Tenehaw Municipality in 1835.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

George L. Crocket, Two Centuries in East Texas (Dallas: Southwest, 1932; facsimile reprod. 1962). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979). Marion Day Mullins, First Census of Texas, 1829–1836, and Other Early Records of the Republic of Texas (Washington: National Genealogical Society, 1959). Gifford E. White, Character Certificates in the General Land Office of Texas (1985). Gifford E. White, 1830 Citizens of Texas (Austin: Eakin, 1983).

Richard D. English

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Richard D. English, "ENGLISH, JAMES [1755-1825]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fenah), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.