ETTLINGER, HYMAN JOSEPH
ETTLINGER, HYMAN JOSEPH (1889–1986). Hyman Joseph Ettlinger, mathematician and university teacher, was born on September 1, 1889, in St. Louis, Missouri, the second of six children of Abraham and Pearl (Shucart) Ettlinger. He attended public schools in St. Louis and received his B.A. from Washington University, St. Louis, and his M.A. and Ph.D. from Harvard University. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in 1911. Ettlinger taught mathematics at the University of Texas from 1913 until 1969, when he was named professor emeritus. He taught courses at all levels from freshman to postdoctoral and supervised twenty-two doctoral dissertations and at least 105 master's theses. He wrote more than twenty technical papers and was coauthor of two textbooks and several technical reports. As a former star football player at Washington University, he was also the varsity line coach at UT for two years, freshman football coach for two years, and director of intercollegiate athletics from 1928 to 1930. For four decades he officiated at football games and track meets. Ettlinger served as secretary of Congregation Beth Israel in Austin for twenty-five years and chaired the building-fund committee for the University of Texas Hillel Foundation. For years he was a member of the executive committee of the National Conference of Christians and Jews, and he also served on the group's educational committee. He received the University of Texas Students' Association teaching award in 1959 and the distinguished service citation of the Texas section of the Mathematical Association of America in 1977. Ettlinger married Rosebud Segal in 1918; they had two children. He died in Austin on June 8, 1986.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert E. Greenwood, "ETTLINGER, HYMAN JOSEPH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fet01), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.