EVANS, ALFRED (1810–1896). Alfred Evans, soldier, farmer, and state representative, was born in North Carolina on November 15, 1810, son of David Lee and Eliza (Porter) Evans. Upon reaching adulthood Evans moved from his home in North Carolina to Tallahassee, Florida. Evans fought in the Second Seminole War, first in Colonel Parish's regiment and later as part of a select spy detail. Evans was present at the first battle of the Withlacoochee and carried dispatches from Florida governor John Eaton to General Scott who was fighting the Creek Indians in Alabama.
Evans came to Texas in 1838 and settled briefly in Brazoria County. He soon moved to Austin County and operated a farm there for twenty years. In 1846 Evans participated in the Monterey campaign of the Mexican War as a lieutenant in Capt. Claiborne C. Herbert's company. Later as a captain in Col. John Coffee Hays's Texas regiment Evans fought in the Mexico City campaign. He was discharged in May 1848.
During his residence in Austin County, Evans served in the state legislature in the Fourth and Seventh sessions. In 1859 Evans moved to Bell County where he bought a farm in the southern part of the county. At the outbreak of the Civil War Evans commanded a company of state militia. In Bell County Evans served for many years as county commissioner and was a prominent figure in local politics. In 1887 he moved from his farm to the town of Belton where he opened a hotel, the Belton House.
Evans married twice and had three children, one of whom, John W. Evans, died during the Civil War. Evans was a Mason and a member of the Texas Veterans Association. Evans probably died in 1896 and was buried in Val Verde Cemetery in Bell County.
A Memorial and Biographical History of McLennan, Falls, Bell, and Coryell Counties (Chicago: Lewis, 1893; rpt., St. Louis: Ingmire, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jennifer Eckel, "EVANS, ALFRED," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fev29), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.