FISHER, HORATIO WHITE
FISHER, HORATIO WHITE (1827–1906). Horatio White Fisher, planter, legislator, and Civil War captain, was born on July 10, 1827, in what would soon become Lowndes County, Alabama, son of William Phillips and Martha Fisher. Fisher completed his education at Chapel Hill, North Carolina. In 1852 he moved to Texas and settled in Walker County. On September 14, 1862, Horatio Fisher married Sally Comer Abercrombie in Walker County. Fisher was a prominent planter whose farm, Fisher Farm, was located in New Waverly.
Fisher was elected to the Texas House of Representatives for Walker County in 1857 and served in the Seventh Texas Legislature. At the outbreak of the Civil War Fisher entered the Confederate Army as a captain in the Seventh Texas Cavalry, part of Sibley's Brigade, and served in New Mexico. He remained in the army until the end of the war and then returned to Walker County. Governor Andrew J. Hamilton appointed him justice of the peace, a position he held throughout Reconstruction. He was later elected to the post in 1875. He was re-elected to the legislature on the Greenback party ticket and served in the House of the Sixteenth Texas Legislature from 1879 to 1881.
Fisher's children included a World War I hero who died in France in 1919 and Minnie Fisher Cunningham, the Texas suffragist who learned politics from her father. She was the first Texas woman to run for the United States Senate in 1928. Horatio Fisher died on January 13, 1906, and is buried in Hardy Cemetery, two miles east of New Waverly.
IGI Individual Record: "Horatio White Fisher" (http://www.familysearch.org/), accessed August 15, 2006. E. W. Swindells, A Legislative Manual for the State of Texas (2 vols., Austin, 1879–83). Walker County Cemeteries (http://www.wcgen.com/WCSoCem.pdf), accessed August 15, 2006.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephanie P. Niemeyer, "FISHER, HORATIO WHITE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffi48), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on August 23, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.