Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

FLICKWIR, A. H.

FLICKWIR, A. H. (1879–1939). A. H. Flickwir, physician and city health officer, was born on April 28, 1879, in Beardstown, Illinois, the son of David Henry and Catherine Rebecca (Norbury) Flickwir. He attended public schools in Illinois and the University of Illinois. He earned a medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1901 and took postgraduate training at Howard Hospital (Philadelphia), Southside Hospital (Pittsburgh), and Maplewood Sanatorium (Jacksonville, Illinois), where he also served as a resident physician. Before World War I he practiced at Detroit, Michigan; Buda, Illinois; and Lyford, Blessing, and Houston, Texas. He served in the Medical Corps of the United States Navy during the war. He was health officer for the city of Houston (1920–27) and director of public health and welfare for the city of Fort Worth (1929–39).

He served as president of the Harris County Medical Society, vice president of the Texas State Medical Association (see TEXAS MEDICAL ASSOCIATION), first president of the Texas Public Health Association (1922), and a vice president of the American Public Health Association. At the time of his death Flickwir was president of District No. 2 of the Texas Public Health Association, a member of the Executive Committee of the Fort Worth Council of Social Agencies, a member of the Public Relations Committee of the Tarrant County Medical Society, and secretary of the public health section of the Texas State Medical Association. He was a Legionnaire, a Mason, an Episcopalian, and a member of the Military Order of Foreign Wars. He and his wife had two daughters. He died in Fort Worth on July 26, 1939.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Fort Worth Star-Telegram, July 27, 1939. Texas State Journal of Medicine, October 1939.

Chester R. Burns

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Chester R. Burns, "FLICKWIR, A. H.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffl37), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.