Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

FOSTER, RANDOLPH

FOSTER, RANDOLPH (1790–1878). Randolph Foster, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, the son of John Foster, was born in Mississippi on March 12, 1790. During the War of 1812 he served with Randal Jones, later his Texas neighbor for fifty years. Foster married Lucy Hunter in Mississippi, and they became the parents of seven children. In 1822 the couple joined John Foster and Isaac Foster to move to Texas and establish a camp in what became Fort Bend County. On July 16, 1824, Foster received title to a league of land in an area that is now Waller and Fort Bend counties. On October 11, 1835, Richardson Royster Royallqv dispatched Foster to retrieve 800 pounds of lead reported to be at William Stafford's plantation. Foster later helped supply the army with meat and furnished food and escort for his family and neighbors during the Runaway Scrape. In 1836 he made a trip back to Mississippi, then returned to Texas to establish permanent residence in Fort Bend County. In December 1845 he signed a proclamation at Richmond commending Sam Houston for his work for the annexation of Texas and inviting him to dinner at Richmond. As a fellow Mississippian, Foster, in August 1865 wrote David G. Burnet requesting him to go to Washington, D.C., to ask President Andrew Johnson to release Jefferson Davis from prison. On August 18, 1878, Foster died in Fort Bend County at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mary L. Blakely.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Dallas Herald, September 9, 1865. Clarence Wharton, Wharton's History of Fort Bend County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1939).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"FOSTER, RANDOLPH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffo21), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.