FULTON, ROGER LAWSON
FULTON, ROGER LAWSON (1839–1896). Roger Lawson Fulton, Texas Ranger, businessman, and politician, son of James H. and Mary E. Fulton, was born in Randolph County, Georgia, in 1839. He participated in the Florida Indian campaigns before joining an older brother, Thomas H. Fulton, in Lockhart, Texas, in 1858. He left his brother to enlist in the Texas Rangersqv under John S. Ford in 1859. He was in Arizona with an exploring party when he received news of the Civil War, returned to Lockhart, and joined a company of cavalry being organized in Caldwell County. After the war, during which he rose to the rank of captain, he went into the mercantile business in Lockhart. In 1867 he moved his business to Galveston; he worked as a staff writer for the Galveston News and as an editor in 1872 and 1873, when he resigned to become a candidate for mayor of Galveston. After an unsuccessful campaign in 1873, he was elected mayor in 1875 and resigned after one term. He was reelected in 1883 and for four following terms until he was finally defeated in 1893. He was a Democrat, a supporter of public education, and a developer of Galveston shipping and commerce. He attended Democratic state conventions from the early 1870s until 1894. In 1888 he represented Texas at the Deep Water Convention in Denver. Fulton married Mary Eliza Newley on October 7, 1870; they had four children. He died on June 28, 1896.
History of Texas, Together with a Biographical History of the Cities of Houston and Galveston (Chicago: Lewis, 1895). William S. Speer and John H. Brown, eds., Encyclopedia of the New West (Marshall, Texas: United States Biographical Publishing, 1881; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FULTON, ROGER LAWSON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffu11), accessed December 07, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.