Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

GEORGE, JAMES DUGGER

GEORGE, JAMES DUGGER (1816–1908). James Dugger George, farmer, jurist, and state representative, was born in Sullivan County, Tennessee, on June 9, 1816, the son of James Jordan and Nancy (Dugger) George. George was raised in this vicinity, and he married Mary Ann Taylor there in 1841. It is not known whether this couple had children. George immigrated to Texas around 1857, settled in Grayson County, and established himself as a farmer. His first wife may have died as James George remarried on April 25, 1860, to Charlotte Jane Fry. This couple had eight children, including at least two sons and two daughters.

Around 1861 George relocated to Saint Jo, Montague County. In April 1867 George was identified by Reconstruction military authorities as a potential Unionist replacement for state officials being removed as a result of the March 1867 Reconstruction Act. In November George returned to Grayson County and was appointed as a judge. At this time he settled a farm near Lincoln Park. In 1870 George won election as representative for Grayson County to the Twelfth Texas Legislature. By the early 1900s George maintained a residence in Van Alstyne and was listed as a judge. He died in Grayson County on May 9, 1908, and was buried there at Cannon Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Genealogical Biographies of Landowners of Grayson County, Texas from 1836 through 1869 (Sherman, Texas: Oak Room Emporium, 1967). IGI Individual Record: "James Dugger George," (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp), accessed June 19, 2007. Robert Shook, "Toward a List of Reconstruction Loyalists," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 76 (January 1973).

Aragorn Storm Miller

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Aragorn Storm Miller, "GEORGE, JAMES DUGGER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fge27), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on August 23, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.