GLOVER, E. A.
GLOVER, E. A. (?–?). E. A. Glover, plantation owner, purchased more than a league of prime Austin County farmland in the Pine Grove district east of the Brazos River in what is now Waller County, in late 1854 or early 1855. In 1855 he was described by county tax rolls as the owner of an estate worth more than $62,000, including sixty slaves. He accumulated property rapidly and by 1860 had amassed 159 slaves and an estate valued at $227,000. He was thus easily among the wealthiest men in Austin County. In that year his plantation produced 12,000 bushels of corn and almost 940 bales of cotton. The census of 1860, however, failed to include Glover on its population schedules, and it remains uncertain if he lived in the county. From 1861 to 1865 his properties were administered for him by agent Samuel Springfield. Like most large planters, Glover was badly damaged by Confederate defeat and emancipation, and by mid-1865 his estate had fallen in value to $88,000. By 1866 his property had been sold, and his name disappeared from county tax rolls.
Randolph B. Campbell, An Empire for Slavery: The Peculiar Institution in Texas, 1821–1865 (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "GLOVER, E. A.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgl12), accessed November 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on October 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.