GOODRICH, WASHINGTON EDMUND
GOODRICH, WASHINGTON EDMUND (1829–1909). Washington Edmund Goodrich, lawyer, legislator, and Civil War veteran, was born on June 20, 1829, in Davidson County, Tennessee, son of Sterling Washington and Mary Amanda Goodrich. He attended respectable schools in Tennessee and received a classical education. While studying law Goodrich taught school in Tennessee. In 1851 he passed the bar exam but continued to teach school. Washington Goodrich married Sarah A. Dismukes in Tennessee on September 27, 1851; they had six children. The couple moved to Seguin, Texas, in 1854, and there he began a lucrative law practice. Goodrich was drawn to politics soon after he arrived in Texas. He was elected mayor of Seguin in 1858. Soon after his term was complete Washington ran for the state legislature and served as a representative for Guadalupe County from 1861 to 1863. In 1863 he joined the Eighth Texas Infantry and fought in the Civil War until the end in 1865. Goodrich continued to be involved in the Seguin community after the Civil War. In 1875 he initiated a collection to build a toll bridge in Seguin which would raise money for the city and help traffic flow. In 1896 Goodrich deeded a parcel of land to enlarge Riverside Cemetery.
Washington Edmund Goodrich died in 1909.
Biographical Encyclopedia of Texas (New York: Southern, 1880). Family Search, "Washington Goodrich" (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/), accessed September 27, 2006. "Under the Live Oaks," Seguin History (http://www.seguin.net/heritage/gesicktree/gesicktreech7.html), accessed September 27, 2006. World connect genealogy, "Curtis Elliott Family Research" (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/), accessed September 27, 2006.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephanie P. Niemeyer, "GOODRICH, WASHINGTON EDMUND," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgo81), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on November 26, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.