GOODWIN, GEORGE IVERSON
GOODWIN, GEORGE IVERSON (ca. 1835–1916). George Iverson Goodwin, attorney, newspaper publisher, and state representative, was born around 1835. He located in Brazos County, Texas, prior to the 1870s. Here he was a noted lawyer and publisher. Goodwin married Sallie A. Smith in Brazos County on October 16, 1872. It is unknown whether this couple had children. During the early 1870s he was active in Democratic politics—and was also a proponent of the Grange—in Brazos County. In December 1873 he won election as representative for District Eighteen—comprised of Leon, Brazos, and Robertson counties—to the Fourteenth Texas Legislature. During this session he authored and shepherded legislation leading to the opening of Agricultural and Mechanical College—present-day Texas A&M University—in 1876. Goodwin Hall was dedicated in his honor on campus in 1908. Goodwin relocated to Brownwood, Brown County, by the autumn of 1876. Here he served as clerk for New Prospect Baptist Church and was a partner in a local law firm. Goodwin died at his home on October 18, 1916, and was buried at Greenleaf Cemetery in Brownwood.
Brazos County, Texas Marriage Records, Books C and D, 22 January 1870 to 28 January, 1878 (Bryan, Texas: Texas Research Ramblers, 1996). Glenna Fourman Brundidge, Brazos County History: Rich Past—Bright Future (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986). Greenleaf Cemetery (http://www.browncountyhistory.org/greenleafC.html), accessed August 9, 2007. Thomas Robert Havins, Something about Brown: A History of Brown County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner, 1958). Members of the Legislature of the State of Texas from 1846 to 1939 (Austin: Texas Legislature, 1939). SHQ Online: News Items (http://www.tshaonline.org/shqonline/apager.php?vol=020&pag=316), accessed August 9, 2007.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Aragorn Storm Miller, "GOODWIN, GEORGE IVERSON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgo83), accessed July 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.