Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

GRANT, ISAAC A.

GRANT, ISAAC A. (1825–1863) Isaac A. Grant was born in North Carolina in 1825. At some point he married Elizabeth J. Sarah of Warwick, Indiana. The couple had two boys named John Eldridge Grant, born in 1846, and William D. Grant, born in 1850. Both of the boys were born in Hopkins County, Texas. Tragically, Elizabeth died in 1850 at the age of twenty-three. On June 24, 1851, Isaac married his second wife Sarah Jane Lowden in Hopkins County. The couple had no children, and, though it is unclear why, they did not stay married. On January 27, 1859, Isaac married his third wife Frances Caroline Coon Matthews in Hopkins County. Frances was born in Red River County, Texas, in November 1841. As of July 1860 Isaac, Frances, and his two sons were living in Tarrant in Hopkins County, along with a thirteen-year-old girl named Tennessee McCarten. Issac worked as a county surveyor and had a real estate value of $2,500 and a personal estate value of $200. On August 19, 1861, Isaac and Frances's daughter Mary Blanche Grant was born in Hopkins County

On May 10, 1862, Isaac A. Grant volunteered for service in the Confederate Army and received the rank of captain. He was assigned to the Twenty-third Texas Cavalry which was organized on October 25, 1862. On that same day Isaac received a promotion to lieutenant colonel of the regiment. The reason is unclear but on October 28, 1863, Isaac A. Grant, while apparently on leave, died at his home in Hopkins County. His military service was limited to Texas, and he was never involved in combat.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Stewart Sifakis, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Texas (New York: Facts on File, 1995).

James A. Hathcock

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

James A. Hathcock, "GRANT, ISAAC A. ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgrau), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on April 13, 2011. Modified on June 2, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.