Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

GRACE, BYRD MOBLEY

GRACE, BYRD MOBLEY (ca. 1812–1889). Byrd Mobley Grace, planter, riverboat operator, and slaveowner, was born in Georgia about 1812. He participated in the Creek Indian Wars. Grace probably moved to Polk County, Texas, sometime in the 1850s. He owned a large plantation and was the owner and operator of riverboats on the Trinity River that departed from a point known as Grace's Landing. It was in this capacity that he was called by the title of captain. Apparently Grace Hill, located about eight miles upstream from the town of Swartwout in Polk County, was named for Byrd Grace. The 1860 census reported Grace as forty-seven years old, with a wife and five children, aged eight to sixteen. All children were listed as having attended school within the year. Their birth state was listed as Alabama. Grace may have been married twice. The census reported that he owned 114 slaves. He raised corn and cotton on 500 acres of improved land in Polk County. During the Civil War he served as a private in Company H, Fifth Regiment, Texas Infantry. He died in 1889 and was buried in Laurel Hill Cemetery, east of Coldspring, Texas, in San Jacinto County.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Randolph B. Campbell, An Empire for Slavery: The Peculiar Institution in Texas, 1821–1865 (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1989). A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978). San Jacinto County Historical Commission, San Jacinto County Cemeteries (Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1977). Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Texas Collection, January 1962.

Art Leatherwood

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Art Leatherwood, "GRACE, BYRD MOBLEY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgrhd), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on October 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.