Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

GURLEY, EDWARD JEREMIAH

GURLEY, EDWARD JEREMIAH (1827–1914). Edward Jeremiah Gurley, lawyer, legislator, and brother of Davis R. Gurley, was born in Franklin County, Alabama, on June 7, 1827. He was graduated from La Grange College, Alabama, in 1845 and received a master's degree in 1846. He read law in Tuscumbia, Alabama, and there married Annie Blocker. They had two daughters. In 1852 they moved to Waco, Texas, where Gurley practiced law with his brother-in-law, Richard F. Blocker. When the Civil War began Gurley raised the Thirtieth Texas Cavalry in McLennan and surrounding counties and led the regiment as colonel in the Indian Territory and Arkansas. After the war he returned to his law practice, which consisted largely of land litigation in McLennan, Falls, and Williamson counties; he also acquired extensive landholdings. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1866 and was elected to the legislature in 1867. His first wife died, and he married Virginia (Jennie) Alexander in 1868. They had one son. In his later years Gurley owned several plantations along the Brazos River; he was president of the Lone Star Cotton Picking Machine Company and of the Collins Company, which owned land in the Mexican coffee region. He died on July 4, 1914.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

H. L. Bentley and Thomas Pilgrim, Texas Legal Directory for 1876–77 (Austin: Democratic Statesman Office, 1877). Biographical Encyclopedia of Texas (New York: Southern, 1880). John M. Kinney, Index to Applications for Texas Confederate Pensions (Austin: Texas State Archives, 1975). A Memorial and Biographical History of McLennan, Falls, Bell, and Coryell Counties (Chicago: Lewis, 1893; rpt., St. Louis: Ingmire, 1984).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"GURLEY, EDWARD JEREMIAH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgu08), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.