HAMILTON, DAVID (?–?). David Hamilton, early Wharton County settler and Old Three Hundred colonist, applied for land in Stephen F. Austin's colony in September 1825. At the time of his application he was twenty-seven and had just arrived from Pike County, Mississippi, with his wife, Dinah, and four slaves. He reported a son in the census of March 1826. On April 23, 1826, Hamilton signed an affidavit concerning Indian depredations. He received title to a sitio of land now in Wharton County on May 9, 1827. In 1830 he was living near San Felipe.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Adele B. Looscan, "Harris County, 1822–1845," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 18–19 (October 1914-July 1915). Austin Texas Gazette, August 14, 1830.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Llerena B. Friend, "HAMILTON, DAVID," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fha34), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.