HANNA, ERASMUS MANLEY
HANNA, ERASMUS MANLEY (1841–1903). Erasmus Manley Hanna, physician, son of James Newton and Martha (Berryhill) Hanna, was born in Henry County, Tennessee, in 1841. He studied medicine in Germany, then returned to Louisville, Kentucky, to take his medical degree before the Civil War. He moved to East Texas to practice medicine during the war; in the Reconstruction period he and several other East Texas physicians organized the first local medical society. Shortly after his marriage to Virginia Morris at Henderson in 1870, Hanna again matriculated in the Louisville Medical School to pursue advanced studies. He returned to Texas a year later. He established permanent residence in Troup, where he practiced medicine and entered the economic and cultural life of the community. He established Hanna House, Troup's first hotel, in 1872; the first local furniture store in 1873; and a theater and opera house in 1875. With his wife's uncle, William Wright Morris, he promoted the first railroads and clay industry in East Texas. Hanna died at Troup in 1903. In 1967 a medallion and historical plaque were placed at the Hanna homesite, then occupied by a great-niece of Hanna.
John Bennett Boddie, Historical Southern Families, Vol. 6 (1962), Vol. 10 (1965). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mildred Webb Bugg, "HANNA, ERASMUS MANLEY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fha52), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.