HARRISON, GEORGE (?–?). George Harrison, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a sitio of land in the western part of what is now Brazoria County on August 16, 1824; there he established a plantation. In October 1824 he signed a petition for appointment of a surveyor in the San Jacinto area. He was living in the Cedar Lake section in October 1825, when he asked Austin to come there to treat with the Karankawa Indians. The census of 1826 classified Harrison as a farmer and stock raiser, aged between twenty-five and forty. He had a wife, Catherine, and two sons, one of whom, Andrew Jackson Harrison, was killed in the battle of the Alamo.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975). Bill Groneman, Alamo Defenders (Austin: Eakin, 1990).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Llerena B. Friend, "HARRISON, GEORGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhaaa), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.