Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

HAGGERTY, PATRICK EUGENE

HAGGERTY, PATRICK EUGENE (1914–1980). Pat Haggerty, business executive, son of Michael Eugene and Lillian (Evenson) Haggerty, was born at Harvey, North Dakota, on March 17, 1914. He married Beatrice E. Menne on February 26, 1938; they had five children. At an early age Haggerty built a prize-winning radio and became one of the first ham radio operators in North Dakota. He entered Marquette University in 1931 with a scholarship and worked part-time at the Badger Carton Company, Milwaukee. After graduating summa cum laude from the Marquette University School of Electrical Engineering in 1936, he became a full-time production manager at Badger. A year later he was given responsibility for all engineering, manufacturing, and administrative functions at Badger except sales. In World War II, Haggerty, an ensign in the United States Naval Reserve, served in the Bureau of Aeronautics, Department of the Navy, Washington, D.C. Initially, he evaluated the performance of manufacturers supplying electronic equipment to the United States Navy; he was later given responsibility for all procurement and production of naval airborne electronic equipment and progressed to the rank of lieutenant.

During this period he met J. Erik Jonsson of Geophysical Service, Incorporated, now Texas Instruments, Incorporatedqv. GSI, founded in 1930 as Geophysical Service, was the first independent contractor specializing in the reflection-seismograph method of geophysical exploration. It was found that similar techniques could be used to locate submerged submarines, and in 1942 the company began building electronic systems for military use. Jonsson and Haggerty talked of the need after the war for a good, small company to combine electrical and mechanical technology for innovative military and civilian products. Haggerty joined GSI in Dallas in November 1945 as general manager of the newly formed Laboratory and Manufacturing Division, with responsibility for developing the research, engineering, and manufacturing phases of the company's operations. Manufactured products gradually overtook services in sales volume, and in December 1951 GSI became Texas Instruments, Incorporated. Haggerty became executive vice president and director in 1951, president in 1958, and chairman in 1967, a post he held until retiring. For TI to be a significant electronics company, Haggerty believed that it was necessary to do more than assemble components. When Western Electric offered to sell licenses for the manufacture of transistors in 1951, Haggerty seized the opportunity to provide components that would replace bulky vacuum tubes, such as those used in radios. Within months TI had its first transistor, and by the latter part of 1953 the firm was mass-producing germanium transistors under the direction of Mark Shepherd, Jr. Initial prices were high, however, and Haggerty sought a high-volume manufacturing base to lower costs and produce ongoing demand. He decided that the portable-radio market would stimulate demand, and the pocket-sized Regency radio was introduced just in time for Christmas, 1954. Thus began a new era in electronics technology. That same year TI pioneered commercial production of transistors made from silicon, a material that could withstand high operating temperatures occurring in more complex, sophisticated systems such as computers. Haggerty believed that electronics could benefit all parts of society, and discussions led to the hiring of research engineers to explore the possibilities. One of these engineers, Jack Kilby, invented the integrated circuit in TI laboratories in 1958.

Other major achievements of TI under Haggerty's leadership included the development of new military technologies in laser guidance, infrared night-vision equipment and airborne radars; the invention of the electronic hand-held calculator; the development of the thermal printhead, which made possible a family of data terminals with silent printers; the invention of the single-chip microprocessor, the "brain" of a wide range of electronic devices; the practical application of information theory to seismic data processing through development of digital techniques for recording and processing geophysical data; the evolution of a widely studied management system (Objectives, Strategies, and Tactics) for managing the process of technological innovation; and consistent improvements in productivity that permitted steady price reductions in the face of increasing inflation.

Deeply concerned with the challenge to increase United States productivity, Haggerty made significant contributions to the literature on this issue. In 1974 he delivered a series of lectures on productivity to the Graduate School of Industrial Administration of Carnegie-Mellon University, and he addressed the American Productivity Center and various professional associations to recommend solutions to America's "productivity malaise." Throughout his career he encompassed the full range of scientific and technical achievement. His work inspired many vital contributions to the electronics revolution.

Haggerty's professional memberships included the National Academy of Engineering, the American Association for the Advancement of Science (fellow), the National Security Industrial Association (life member and vice chairman, board of trustees), and the Texas Academy of Scienceqv (life member). In 1962 he was instrumental in merging the two rival engineering societies, the Institute of Radio Engineers and the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, into the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, which he served as director for the first two years. His honors and awards included the Distinguished Service Award, University of Wisconsin (1964); Distinguished Alumnus Award, Marquette University (1966); Medal of Honor, Electronic Industries Association (1967); Founders Award, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (1968); Medal of Achievement, Western Electronics Manufacturers Association (1972); and Henry Laurence Gantt Medal (1975). He was a medalist of the Industrial Research Institute (1969), an Eminent Member of Eta Kappa Nu (1969), a John Fritz medalist (1973), and an Alumnus of the Year at Marquette University (1972). Haggerty received honorary doctoral degrees from St. Mary's University, Marquette University, Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, the University of Dallas, North Dakota State University, Catholic University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and the University of Notre Dame. He was chairman of the National Council on Educational Research and of the Board of Trustees of Rockefeller University. He was a member of the University of Dallas Board of Trustees and Executive Committee, of the Board of Governors of the United States Postal Service (1971–73), of the Executive Committee of the Trilateral Commission, of the Presidential Science Advisory Panel (1969–72), of the President's Committee on the Accident at Three Mile Island, of the President's Nuclear Safety Oversight Committee, of the Business Council, and of the Defense Science Board of the National Committee on Technology, Automation, and Economic Progress. He was director of the A. H. Belo Corporation. Haggerty wrote Management Philosophies and Practices at Texas Instruments Incorporated, 1965; "Industrial Research and Development," Science and the Evolution of Public Policy, 1973; The Productive Society, 1974; and numerous company and trade-publication articles. He was a Catholic. He died on October 1, 1980, in Dallas, and was buried in Calvary Hill Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Dallas Morning News, October 2, 1980. Joel Fagenbaum, "Patrick E. Haggerty: Engineer and Visionary," IEEE Spectrum, December 1980. Who's Who in the South and Southwest, 1978–79.

Richard M. Perdue

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Richard M. Perdue, "HAGGERTY, PATRICK EUGENE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhagz), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.