Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

HEAD, JAMES A.

HEAD, JAMES A. (1797–1872). James A. Head, legislator and Texas Ranger, was born in Alabama or Georgia in June 1797 and moved to Texas in 1835. On October 26, 1835, he enlisted at San Felipe de Austin in Silas M. Parker's ranging company, said to be the first Texas Rangersqv, and served until he was discharged at Fort Sterling on January 25, 1836. After the Texas revolution Head began farming in what was then called Navasota County, where he served in a company of minutemen. In 1840 he was registered to vote in Washington County but owned 17,789 acres in Robertson County. Head was elected justice of the peace of Navasota (now Brazos) County on March 1, 1841, and was later that year elected to the House of Representatives of the Sixth Congress, where he served until 1842. He was elected chief justice of Brazos County in September 1848 and was reelected in August 1850. He soon resigned from the bench; his successor was elected on August 8, 1851. By December 1852 Head was a resident of Robertson County. He died on September 22, 1872. He was married and had children.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Clarksville Northern Standard, December 16, 18143. Compiled Index to Elected and Appointed Officials of the Republic of Texas, 1835–1846 (Austin: State Archives, Texas State Library, 1981). Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Founders and Patriots of the Republic of Texas (Austin, 1963-). Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Muster Rolls of the Texas Revolution (Austin, 1986). Telegraph and Texas Register, October 6, 1841. Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941).

Thomas W. Cutrer

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas W. Cutrer, "HEAD, JAMES A.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhe02), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.