Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

HILL, GEORGE ALFRED, JR.

HILL, GEORGE ALFRED, JR. (1892–1949). George Alfred Hill, Jr., attorney and writer, son of George Alfred and Julia (McHugh) Hill, was born at Corsicana, Texas, on January 12, 1892. He attended West Texas Military Academy (see TEXAS MILITARY INSTITUTE, SAN ANTONIO) and the University of Texas. He was admitted to the bar in 1911 and worked as assistant general attorney for the International-Great Northern Railroad from 1911 to 1917 and as a partner in the firm of Kennerly, Williams, Lee, and Hill from 1917 to 1932. He was vice president of the Houston Natural Gas Corporation from 1928 to 1932 and served as general counsel and president of the Houston Pipe Line Company and of the Houston Oil Company. Hill married Mary Van Den Berge on June 24, 1916. They were the parents of three children. During World War I Hill was captain of Troop C, Seventh Texas Cavalry. In addition to his membership in civil groups and oil organizations, he was a member of the Philosophical Society of Texas, the Sons of the Republic of Texas, and the Texas Folklore Society. He was a life member of the Texas State Historical Association and chairman of the board of trustees of the San Jacinto Monument and Museum. His writings included Houston, the Capital of the Republic (1935), The Hill Family of Fayetteville (1936), The Centennial Celebration of the Battle of San Jacinto (1936), Trends in the Oil Industry in 1944 (1944), United States Foreign Policy and Petroleum Reserves Corporation (1944), and The Free Play of Economic Forces in the End Use of Gas (1945?). Hill died at Greenville, South Carolina, on November 2, 1949, and was buried in Houston.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Houston Chronicle, November 3, 1949. Who's Who in America, 1946–47.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"HILL, GEORGE ALFRED, JR.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhi19), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.