HODGES, JAMES, SR.
HODGES, JAMES, SR. (ca. 1775–1846). James Hodges, Sr., member of DeWitt's Colony and a Consultation delegate, was born around 1775. He lived for a time in Tipton County, Tennessee, where in 1832 he established the town of Portersville. Hodges arrived in Texas in April 1835, and in August of that year he purchased four leagues of land in the forks of the Guadalupe and San Marcos rivers near Gonzales from José María Salinas of San Antonio. Hodges was twice married and had eight known children. He was elected (and served) as one of six delegates representing the Gonzales Municipality in the Consultation of November 1835. During the Texas Revolution he provided supplies to the Texas army; he and his family were part of the Runaway Scrape but later returned to Gonzales County. He served on the Board of Land Commissioners for Gonzales County in 1838. Hodges and his children built their homes on the Salinas land grant, where Hodges lived with his second wife, Editha Nobles, until his death on December 24, 1846. He was buried on his farm in what became known as the Hodges family cemetery. In the early 1990s a Texas Historical Commission marker was placed about a mile from his gravesite.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dorcas Huff Baumgartner, "HODGES, JAMES, SR.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fho12), accessed May 25, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.