HOLLIMAN, KINCHEN (?–1833). Kinchen Holliman, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a sitio of land in Texas on August 10, 1824. In February 1825 he wrote Austin from Woodville, Mississippi, that crop failures and lack of funds would prevent his coming to Texas before November 1825. The census of March 1826 showed Holliman as a farmer and stock raiser aged between twenty-five and forty, the owner of four slaves. He farmed his Texas land and visited annually but never actually made Texas his home or brought his property from Mississippi. The ayuntamiento of San Felipe ordered him in February 1830 to appear in March to give information on his improvements and after his testimony recommended that he be given six months to establish permanent residence. Because of illness Holliman could not return to Texas, and his league was forfeited. He died in Mississippi in 1833, leaving a plantation and many slaves. On May 14, 1834, William B. Travis was retained to make a petition for administration of his estate, but the effort of the Holliman heirs to recover possession of the land granted in Texas was not upheld by the courts.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., "Minutes of the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin, 1828–1832," 12 parts, Southwestern Historical Quarterly 21–24 (January 1918-October 1920). Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Robert E. Davis, ed., The Diary of William Barret Travis (Waco: Texian Press, 1966). Edgar F. Imle, An Abstract of Biographical Data in the Texas Supreme Court Reports, 1840 to 1857 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937). Texas Gazette, February 6, March 27, 1830.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HOLLIMAN, KINCHEN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fho34), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.