Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

HOMAN, WILLIAM KERCHEVAL

HOMAN, WILLIAM KERCHEVAL (1847–1908). William Kercheval Homan, son of Cornelius Homan of County Cork, Ireland, was born in Sinclair County, Tennessee, on August 14, 1847. He moved to Texas in 1860 and attended Waco University before he began to study law. He was licensed to practice at Cameron on March 4, 1869. He engaged in journalism for three years before he moved to Caldwell, where he began his law practice. He served as county clerk, county attorney, and district judge. In 1878 he was elected to represent District Twenty, comprising Burleson, Washington, and Brazos counties, in the Senate of the Sixteenth Texas Legislature, 1879–80. After one session he tendered his resignation, but it was never acted upon. He was reelected to the Seventeenth Legislature and was especially active in the regular session of 1881, in which he secured adoption of the Common Sense Indictment Law, which simplified the language used in Texas criminal procedure. In 1888 he moved to Dallas and began serving as the United States attorney for the Eastern District of Texas. Homan was a minister in the Christian Church and was from 1888 to 1901 the editor of a church newspaper, the Christian Courier. On one occasion he was president of the national convention of his church. He spent his last years in Colorado City, Texas, where he died on April 12, 1908.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980). Members of the Legislature of the State of Texas from 1846 to 1939 (Austin: Texas Legislature, 1939). Charles S. Potts, "New Rules of Criminal Procedure-A Suggestion," Texas Law Review 23 (1945).

C. S. Potts

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

C. S. Potts, "HOMAN, WILLIAM KERCHEVAL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fho47), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.