HOPKINS, JAMES ELLERY
HOPKINS, JAMES ELLERY (ca. 1816–?). James Ellery Hopkins, early Red River County settler, was born around 1816 in Montgomery County, Kentucky, the son of Francis Marion Hopkinsqv. He immigrated to Texas with his family in 1823 and gradually acquired a large amount of land that later became part of Red River County. The 1860 census lists him with personal property valued at $50,000. His plantation, which he operated with his brother Richard M. Hopkins, included some 1,200 improved acres; in 1860 it produced 10,000 bushels of corn and 385 bales of cotton. The brothers also owned 139 slaves and were thus among the 100 largest slaveholders in Texas at that time.
Randolph B. Campbell, An Empire for Slavery: The Peculiar Institution in Texas, 1821–1865 (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1989). Randolph B. Campbell and Richard G. Lowe, Wealth and Power in Antebellum Texas (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1977). Blewett Barnes Kerbow, The Early History of Red River County, 1817–1865 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1936). Red River Recollections (Clarksville, Texas: Red River County Historical Society, 1986). Rex W. Strickland, Anglo-American Activities in Northeastern Texas, 1803–1845 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1937). Ralph A. Wooster, "Wealthy Texans, 1860," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 71 (October 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HOPKINS, JAMES ELLERY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fho96), accessed December 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.