Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

HUMPHREYS, MILTON WYLIE

HUMPHREYS, MILTON WYLIE (1844–1928). Milton Wylie Humphreys, Civil War veteran and university professor, was born in Greenbrier County, Virginia, on September 15, 1844, the son of Andrew Cavet and Mary McQuain (Hefner) Humphreys. After entering Washington College (later Washington and Lee University) in September 1860, he joined the Thirteenth Virginia Light Artillery as gunner in March 1862 and served throughout the Civil War. Humphreys taught school for a time and then reentered Washington College, where he received an M.A. degree in 1869. He was graduated with a Ph.D. from the University of Leipzig in 1874. Later both Vanderbilt and Washington and Lee universities honored him with LL.D. degrees. Humphreys was associate professor of Latin and Greek (1867–70) and adjunct professor of ancient languages (1870–75) at Washington College. In 1875 he went to Vanderbilt as first professor of Latin and Greek. In 1883 he was chosen first professor of Latin and Greek at the University of Texas. He left Austin in 1887 to become professor of Greek at the University of Virginia, where he remained until his retirement on September 15, 1912. Humphreys was American general editor of Revue des Revues, 1878 to 1888, and also edited and translated several Greek works. He married Louise Frances Garland on May 3, 1877, and was the father of four children. He died at Charlottesville, Virginia, on November 20, 1928.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Charlottesville Daily Progress, November 21, 1928. Dictionary of American Biography. Carl John Eckhardt, One Hundred Faithful to the University of Texas at Austin (197-?). Who Was Who in America, 1943.

Carolyn Hyman

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Carolyn Hyman, "HUMPHREYS, MILTON WYLIE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhu28), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.