INGRAM, ANDERSON (1799?–?). Anderson Ingram (Ingraham), largest slaveholder in Navarro County on the eve of the Civil War, was born in Georgia around 1799. He and his three brothers, Washington, Hugh, and James, settled in eastern Navarro County around 1850. The Ingram brothers purchased thousands of acres along the Trinity River and together with several other families established a settlement that they called Rural Shade. In 1860 Ingram owned 29,740 acres and 126 slaves and produced 382 bales of cotton. He and his wife, Sarah, had four children.
Randolph B. Campbell, An Empire for Slavery: The Peculiar Institution in Texas, 1821–1865 (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1989). Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84). Ralph A. Wooster, "Notes on Texas' Largest Slaveholders, 1860," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 65 (July 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "INGRAM, ANDERSON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fin07), accessed May 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.