JARVIS, VAN ZANDT
JARVIS, VAN ZANDT (1873–1940). Van Zandt Jarvis, cattleman and banker, son of James Jones and Ida (Van Zandt) Jarvis,qqv was born on March 26, 1873, in Fort Worth. He attended Fort Worth public schools and Add-Ran College (later Texas Christian University), from which he graduated in 1895. After working with his father on family ranches he became manager of the family's 4,000-acre ranch in Tarrant County and 20,000-acre ranch in Erath and Hood counties. With his father he began breeding registered shorthorn and Hereford cattle and thoroughbred horses and selling the cattle in Central and South America. He was president of the Texas Shorthorn Breeders Association for six years and treasurer and director of the Texas Hereford Breeders Association in 1927. He was a stockholder and director of the Fort Worth National Bank and a five-term member of the Fort Worth City Council. He was elected mayor in 1934. He was also president of the West Texas and Fort Worth chambers of commerce, and of the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show. He served more than thirty years on the Texas Christian University board of directors, most of this as chairman. He led a financial campaign that saved the university and in 1939 was voted its most outstanding former student. He was a Democrat and member of the Christian Church. In 1901 he married Anne Dora Burgess; they had six children. Jarvis died on April 17, 1940, and was buried in East Oakwood Cemetery, Fort Worth.
Ellis A. Davis and Edwin H. Grobe, comps., The Encyclopedia of Texas, 2-vol. ed. National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Vol. 48. Buckley B. Paddock, History of Texas: Fort Worth and the Texas Northwest Edition (4 vols., Chicago: Lewis, 1922). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "JARVIS, VAN ZANDT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fja26), accessed December 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.