JOHNSON, JOHN R. [?–1852]
JOHNSON, JOHN R. (?–1852). John R. Johnson, soldier of the Republic of Texas, was born in Virginia and immigrated to Texas in 1834. He served at the siege of Bexar and on March 31, 1836, enlisted in Sam Houston's army at Jared Groce's plantation on the Brazos River. At the battle of San Jacinto he served as a private in Col. Sidney Sherman's Second Regiment, Texas Volunteers. In 1838 Sam Houston used Johnson as a trusted courier. In August 1842 Johnson was a major in the Texas militia at Swartwout. During the Mexican War a John R. Johnson served as a private in Capt. Robert A. Gillespie's Company I of Col. John Coffee Hays's First Regiment, Texas Mounted Riflemen, and later in Capt. Walter P. Lane's Company A of Maj. Michael H. Chevallie's battalion of Texas Mounted Volunteers. In the latter company Johnson was elected second sergeant, promoted to first sergeant on September 1, 1847, and reduced to private on March 1, 1848. He served a third enlistment in Capt. Mirabeau B. Lamar's company of Col. Peter H. Bell's regiment of Texas Mounted Volunteers. John R. Johnson died in Travis County in 1852.
Biographical Souvenir of the State of Texas (Chicago: Battey, 1889; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978). Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Muster Rolls of the Texas Revolution (Austin, 1986). Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto (Houston: Anson Jones, 1932). Charles D. Spurlin, comp., Texas Veterans in the Mexican War: Muster Rolls of Texas Military Units (Victoria, Texas, 1984). Amelia W. Williams and Eugene C. Barker, eds., The Writings of Sam Houston, 1813–1863 (8 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1938–43; rpt., Austin and New York: Pemberton Press, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas W. Cutrer, "JOHNSON, JOHN R. [?–1852]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fjo16), accessed October 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on March 28, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.