Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

JOHNSON, LUTHER ALEXANDER

JOHNSON, LUTHER ALEXANDER (1875–1965). Luther Alexander Johnson, Congressman and judge, was born on October 29, 1875, in Corsicana, Texas, to Ebenezer Wiley and Fannie L. (McMillan) Johnson. He attended Cumberland University in Lebanon, Tennessee, where he received a law degree in 1896. Later that year he was admitted to the bar and began his law practice in Corsicana. He was Navarro county attorney from 1898 to 1902 and district attorney for the Thirteenth Judicial District from 1904 to 1910. He had a private practice in Corsicana from 1910 to 1923. He was a delegate to the Democratic national convention in St. Louis in 1916 and chairman of the Democratic state convention in Fort Worth in 1920. He was a member of the Sixty-eighth through the Seventy-ninth congresses, 1923–46, representing the Sixth Texas District. While a congressman, he served on the house foreign relations committee during the administrations of F. D. Roosevelt and Harry Truman. Truman appointed him a federal tax-court judge in 1946, a position he held until 1956. Johnson married Turner Read on July 19, 1899. They had two children. Johnson was a member of Westminister Presbyterian Church in Corsicana for eighty years and eventually became a ruling elder in the church. He was a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity and the Lions Club. He died on June 6, 1965, in Corsicana and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Austin American-Statesman, June 7, 1965. Biographical Directory of the American Congress. Dallas Morning News, May 15, 1956. Uvalde Leader-News, June 21, 1956. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Who's Who in the South and Southwest, Vol. 1.

Melanie Watkins

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Melanie Watkins, "JOHNSON, LUTHER ALEXANDER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fjo96), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.