Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

KELLER, JOHN C.

KELLER, JOHN C. (?–1837). John C. Keller, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred settlers, applied for land in Austin's colony under the colonization law of March 1825, stating that he was a widower with two sons and three daughters. He may have been working with John Austinqv in September 1826. As one of the Old Three Hundred, Keller received title to a sitio of land in what is now Matagorda County on June 4, 1827. In 1832 a John Keller served under Aylett C. Buckner at the battle of Velasco. Keller's will, which bequeathed land to Mary E. Austin and to John P. Austin, Jr. (son of John Austin), was probated in May 1837; by 1852 Keller's land had been sold for taxes.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88). Gifford E. White, 1830 Citizens of Texas (Austin: Eakin, 1983).

Rachel Jenkins

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Rachel Jenkins, "KELLER, JOHN C.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fke08), accessed September 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.