Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

LANE, ROBERT H.

LANE, ROBERT H. (1815–1871). Robert H. Lane, attorney, Mexican War colonel, and Texas legislator, was born on March 15, 1815, in Medina, New York, a son of Irish immigrants. Lane was orphaned at the age of twelve. At eighteen Lane moved to Indiana, then later he moved to Madison County, Missouri, where he taught school while studying law. On November 26, 1840, he married Rebecca McFarland near the town of Fredericktown, Missouri. The couple settled there while Lane practiced law. In 1846 Lane raised a company of volunteers to fight in the Mexican War and was elected colonel of the Third Missouri Cavalry Regiment of Volunteers. Lane served for two years under the leadership of Sterling Price and played an important role at the battle of Santa Cruz.

After the Mexican War, Lane settled in Bonham, Texas, where he continued to practice law. In 1851 he was elected to the Texas Legislature and served until 1853. In 1855 he was appointed to serve on the Mexican-United States Boundary Commission. Throughout the Civil War Lane practiced law and remained outside the realm of politics, perhaps due to the fact that he was a Union supporter. In 1866 he was elected to the state senate and was one of the representatives sent to Washington, D.C., to present the new state Constitution to President Andrew Johnson. While there he was named the United States Internal Revenue Collector for the Second District of Texas. He served in this post until 1869.

Lane was a Mason, and, despite his Unionist leanings, a staunch Democrat. Lane died on December 16, 1871, in Bonham.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

R. M. Lusk, A History of the Constantine Lodge No. 13 Ancient, Free, and Accepted Masons (Bonham, 1917).

Stephanie Piefer Niemeyer

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Stephanie Piefer Niemeyer, "LANE, ROBERT H.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fladd), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.