LÉGER, THEODORE (?–?). Theodore Léger, a French physician, had been a member of the faculty of the Paris medical school, a member of the Medical College of Mexico, a professor of midwifery, and a vice president of the Medical Society of New Orleans before he traveled to Texas at least as early as December 1836. He was one of the doctors who attended Stephen F. Austin in his last illness. In December 1837 Léger was located at Brazoria and with Algernon P. Thompson planned to start a newspaper to support the policies of Mirabeau B. Lamar. Lamar contracted with Léger and Thompson in January 1838 to lend them a press, printing materials, and paper. Their journal, the People, evidently ran some biographical and historical sketches prepared by Lamar but was short-lived because of its financial problems and its bitter anti-Sam Houstonqv stand. In 1838 at Brazoria on the People press, Léger published one of the early medical books of Texas-Essay on the Particular influence of Prejudice in Medicine on the Treatment of the Disease Most Common in Texas, Intermittent Fever; Preceded by a Few General Observations on Medical Theories.
Sylvia Van Voast Ferris and Eleanor Sellers Hoppe, Scalpels and Sabers (Austin: Eakin Press, 1985). Charles Adams Gulick, Jr., Harriet Smither, et al., eds., The Papers of Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (6 vols., Austin: Texas State Library, 1920–27; rpt., Austin: Pemberton Press, 1968). George L. Hammeken, "Recollections of Stephen F. Austin," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 20 (April 1917). Andrew Forest Muir, "Algernon P. Thompson," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 51 (October 1947). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LEGER, THEODORE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fle23), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.