LESLIE, JOHN DOUGLASS
LESLIE, JOHN DOUGLASS (1860–1935). John Douglass Leslie, Presbyterian minister, son of Thomas Boston and Jane Melissa (Murdoch) Leslie, was born on June 1, 1860, in Statesville, North Carolina. With his parents he moved to Covington, Tennessee, where he attended Byers Academy from 1873 to 1877. After his graduation from Southwestern Presbyterian University, Clarksville, Tennessee, in 1880, he entered Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, Virginia, and was ordained to the ministry by the Memphis Presbyterian Church in the United States on September 13, 1883. He was pastor at Atoka, Tennessee (1883–86), and Water Valley, Mississippi (1886–94). He moved to Texas and served as pastor at Weatherford (1894–98), Paris (1898–1903), Temple (1903–04), Ballinger (1904–11), and Cisco (1911–21). He was secretary-treasurer of the executive committee of schools and colleges of the Synod of Texas in 1921–22. In the latter year he was elected stated clerk and treasurer of the General Assembly. He was also selected for the office of stated clerk of church courts in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Fort Worth, Paris, and Cisco, Texas. He was stated clerk in the Synod of Texas from 1904 to 1922. He served as a permanent clerk of the General Assembly from 1910 to 1922. Austin College conferred on him the honorary degrees of D.D. in 1912 and LL.D. in 1923. Leslie was the author of The Second Coming of Christ (1904)and Ready Reference Manual for Church Officers and Courts (1924). He compiled Presbyterian Law and Procedure (1930). He was married three times: to Gertrude Mattison in 1885, to Alma LeGrand in 1899, and to Ella Ragland in 1913. He had two children in the first marriage and three in the second. Leslie died on June 11, 1935, and was buried in Dallas.
Who Was Who in America, Vol. 2.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.E. C. Scott, "LESLIE, JOHN DOUGLASS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fle33), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.