LEHMANN, CORNELIUS FERNANDO, JR.
LEHMANN, CORNELIUS FERNANDO, JR. (1895–1970). Cornelius Fernando (Ferd) Lehmann, Jr., dermatologist, was born in Hallettsville, Texas, on April 15, 1895, the son of Cornelius Fernando and Zula (Veal) Lehmann. He attended the University of Texas and the University of Texas Medical Branch, where he received an M.D. in 1918. He later did postgraduate work at the Vanderbilt Skin Clinic of Columbia University in New York City. After an internship and residency in dermatology at Scott and White Memorial Hospital in Temple, Lehmann practiced in San Antonio for more than forty years. During this time he wrote numerous scientific papers and essays on dermatological subjects. He was certified by the American Board of Dermatology in 1933. He was president of the International Post-Graduate Medical Assembly of Southwest Texas (1949), president of the Bexar County Medical Society (1938), chairman and secretary of the dermatological sections of the American Medical Association and the Southern Medical Association, and vice president of both the American Dermatological Association (1957) and the American Academy of Dermatology (1960). He was a member of the board of directors of the American Academy of Dermatology and was named an honorary life member of the academy only a few weeks before his death. Lehmann was on active duty with the United States Army Medical Corps for six years and served as a reserve officer from 1920 to 1946. He attained the rank of colonel. He retired from his practice in 1964 and died at Methodist Hospital of Houston on December 23, 1970, survived by his wife, Lottie Jean (Steele) Lehmann. He was buried in Mission Burial Park in San Antonio.
San Antonio Express, December 25, 1970. Texas Medicine, February 1971.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Patricia L. Jakobi, "LEHMANN, CORNELIUS FERNANDO, JR.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fle82), accessed October 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.