LOGAN, WILLIAM G.
LOGAN, WILLIAM G. (ca. 1811–1836). William G. Logan, merchant and member of the Nacogdoches Committee of Vigilance and Safety, was born around 1811 in Glasgow, Kentucky. He married Mary Bell in 1831 and established himself as a merchant in Vicksburg, Mississippi. In 1835, at the urging of Henry Raguet, he moved to Nacogdoches and became Raguet's partner in a mercantile establishment there. On September 11, 1835, Logan was a member of the Committee of Vigilance and Safety for the department of Nacogdoches, which wrote to Andrew Jackson protesting the incursion of Indians into the department. On August 15, 1835, Logan was secretary of a public meeting that condemned Mexican disregard of the laws and the actions of military officials in Texas. In the fall of 1835 he purchased the newspaper printing press that Milton Slocum had brought to Nacogdoches in 1829 and persuaded David E. Lawhon to publish a revolutionary newspaper, the Texian and Emigrant's Guide, the first copy of which appeared in November 28, 1835. The Logan-Raguet partnership continued until Logan's death on a trip to Natchitoches, Louisiana, on April 23, 1836.
Robert Bruce Blake Research Collection, Steen Library, Stephen F. Austin State University; Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin; Texas State Archives, Austin; Houston Public Library, Houston. Carolyn Reeves Ericson, Nacogdoches, Gateway to Texas: A Biographical Directory (2 vols., Fort Worth: Arrow-Curtis Printing, 1974, 1987). Nacogdoches Committee of Vigilance and Safety Records, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LOGAN, WILLIAM G.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/flo05), accessed July 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.