LOUGHRIDGE, JAMES RODGERS
LOUGHRIDGE, JAMES RODGERS (1821–1886). James Rodgers Loughridge, lawyer, Confederate soldier, and state legislator, was born on November 12, 1821, in Laurens, South Carolina, son of James and Deborah Ann (McGill) Loughridge. He visited Texas with his father in the 1830s and later moved to Corsicana to practice law. He founded the first newspaper in Corsicana, the Prairie Blade, in 1855. That same year Loughridge married Mary Felicia Martin of Corn Ridge, Tennessee; they had six children.
From 1858 to 1861 Loughridge served as a county judge in Navarro County. During the Civil War, Loughridge was elected first lieutenant in Company I, also known as the Navarro Rifles, of the Fourth Texas Volunteer Infantry and served in Hood's Texas Brigade. He was wounded at Gaines' Mill in June 1862. On July 21, 1863, after Clinton McKamy Winkler was wounded at the battle of Gettysburg, Loughridge was promoted to captain of his company. He was cited for bravery at the battle of Chickamauga and then resigned from the army on November 10, 1863, upon his election to the Texas House of Representatives.
After the Civil War, Loughridge owned a cotton warehouse at Loughridge Bluff on the Trinity River near Rural Shade and Kerens. He served on a committee that convinced the Houston and Texas Central Railroad to go through Corsicana and was active in veterans' affairs with the Hood's Brigade Association. He died on November 10, 1886, and was buried in Ingram Cemetery near Rural Shade. There is also a marker for him alongside his wife's grave in Oakwood Cemetery. Loughridge's papers form part of the Pearce Civil War Collection at Navarro College.
San Jacinto Museum, "William Wallace Loughridge" (http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org), accessed October 11, 2006.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephanie P. Niemeyer, "LOUGHRIDGE, JAMES RODGERS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fload), accessed July 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on February 5, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.