Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

LUSK, SAMUEL

LUSK, SAMUEL (1800–1861). Samuel Lusk, soldier and politician, was born on December 15, 1800, in Buncomb County, North Carolina. He was raised and educated in Tennessee. He married America Coffee, the sister of Gen. John Holland and Thomas Coffee, in 1823 and moved to Alabama. Lusk immigrated to Texas about 1835 and settled near Washington-on-the-Brazos. In 1836 he joined Sam Houston's forces but did not participate at the battle of San Jacinto because he had been detailed to protect the women and children. Lusk was a member of the convention of the Republic of Texas that ratified annexation. He served as county clerk in Washington County from 1848 to 1858. He was among the earliest settlers of Brenham and served as its mayor in 1858–59. Lusk died in Brenham on December 1, 1861, in a yellow fever epidemic, and is buried in the Masonic Cemetery there. His daughter, Malinda C. Lusk, married Dewitt C. Giddings, and his son, Patrick H. Lusk, drew a white bean in the Black Bean Episode and so survived the Mier expedition. He was released through the intervention of his uncle's friend Andrew Jackson.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Frank W. Johnson, A History of Texas and Texans (5 vols., ed. E. C. Barker and E. W. Winkler [Chicago and New York: American Historical Society, 1914; rpt. 1916]). Worth Stickley Ray, Austin Colony Pioneers (Austin: Jenkins, 1949; 2d ed., Austin: Pemberton, 1970). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). Judy and Nath Winfield, Jr., Cemetery Records of Washington County, 1826–1960 (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin, 1974).

James L. Hailey

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

James L. Hailey, "LUSK, SAMUEL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/flu12), accessed November 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.