MATHIS, WILLIAM (?–?). William Mathis was one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred. His grant, located in an area that became northwest Brazos County, was bounded on the south by the Old Spanish Trail and on the west by the Brazos River. Mathis received title on July 19, 1824. The census of 1826 classified him as a farmer and stock raiser between the ages of twenty-five and forty. His household included his wife, son, daughter, and one servant. In some sources William Mathis has been misnamed William Matthews, but no primary source lists a Matthews. In 1827 Mathis took the oath of loyalty required by the Mexican government after the Fredonian Rebellion. In 1846 Daniel Boren, who owned land in Mathis's league, opened a ferry across the Brazos at the Old Spanish Trail on Mathis's land. The ferry operated until 1912, when it was replaced by the Houston and Texas Central Railway bridge.
Glenna Fourman Brundidge, Brazos County History: Rich Past-Bright Future (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Richard Brown, "MATHIS, WILLIAM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fma81), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.