Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

MAYRANT, WILLIAM NORVELLE

MAYRANT, WILLIAM NORVELLE (1838–?). William Norvelle Mayrant, major in the Fifth Texas Partisan Rangers, was born in Mississippi in 1838 to Dr. James Norvelle Mayrant and Mary Elizabeth (Potts) Mayrant. His father served in the South Carolina state militia during the War of 1812 before marrying, moving the family to Mississippi, and buying land in Columbus, Lowndes County. In 1858, at the age of twenty, William Mayrant attended the University of Mississippi. Soon after, he moved to Sherman in Grayson County, Texas, to live with and study law under C. C. Binkley, who would serve as judge of the Twelfth District from 1870 to 1874.

After the Civil War began, William Mayrant and his older brother John, at the ages of twenty-three and thirty-five, respectively, enlisted together on May 26, 1861, in Sherman for service in the Fifteenth Brigade of Texas Militia. Following John's election to major of the regiment in August of that year, William was elected first lieutenant to fill the vacancy created by his brother and served as a scout in the Creek Nation of the Indian Territory. This mission led to the battle of Chustenahlah on December 26, 1861, in which some 250 Creek Indians that disputed their tribe's alliance with the southern cause were killed.

Although in the 1861 muster roll William Mayrant is listed as a scout, he was dropped from this unit in 1862 for unknown reasons. He then reenlisted in the First Battalion Texas Partisan Rangers on July 5, 1862, again from Sherman, Texas. This unit, composed of four companies, was consolidated with the Tenth Cavalry Battalion and the Ninth Partisan Rangers Battalion on February 6, 1863, to create the Fifth Texas Partisan Rangers, or as it was later called, Martin's Texas Cavalry, after its commander Leonidas M. Martin. With the reorganization, Mayrant was elected major and made a field officer.

Although the Fifth was not involved in many military engagements, it did participate in the Second Battle of Cabin Creek in the Indian Territory in September of 1864. Led by Gen. Samuel B. Maxey, the Confederate fighting force was composed of the Fifth Texas Cavalry Brigade, led by Gen. Richard M. Gano, and Gen. Stand Watie's Indian Cavalry Brigade. Among the five non-artillery units of the Fifth, William Mayrant commanded Martin's Battalion of Texas Cavalry. This expedition was responsible for capturing some $1.5 million from Union forces and marked one of the few highlights of the year for the Confederate States.

Following the war, William Mayrant returned to Sherman and continued his work as a lawyer throughout Grayson County. In 1869 Texans voted on a revised state constitution, elected a state government, and prepared their state resume its place in the United States. In the creation of the local governments under these measures, William Norvelle Mayrant was elected justice of the peace for precinct one in Grayson County, a position he filled at least through 1872.

William Mayrant married his first cousin, Alice Henrietta Potts, on March 29, 1864, in Sherman. In 1869 the couple had a daughter named Mary. Although there is some evidence that William Mayrant died in 1873, his exact date and place of death is not known. Despite the existence of a Mayrant-Potts Cemetery where several of William Norvelle Mayrant's siblings are buried, he is not interred on the grounds.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Stewart Sifakis, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Texas (New York: Facts on File, 1995). Marvin J. Hancock, "The Second Battle of Cabin Creek, 1864," The Chronicles of Oklahoma (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Historical Society, 1993). 11th Texas Cavalry: Company C-1 (http://11texascav.org/content/company-c-1), accessed April 20, 2011.

David Park

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

David Park, "MAYRANT, WILLIAM NORVELLE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmafe), accessed September 01, 2014. Uploaded on April 26, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.