Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

MCCOMB, JOHN EVANS

MCCOMB, JOHN EVANS (1848–?). John Evans McComb, state legislator and United States attorney, son of Rev. Thomas Benton and Mary Elizabeth McComb, was born in Miller County, Missouri, on August 5, 1848. In 1852 the family moved to a farm near Sherman, Texas. He attended Ladonia Male and Female Institute and Myers Academy as preparation for Waco University, where he graduated with an A.B. degree in June 1871. He then studied law and was admitted to the bar in Sherman in September 1872. On February 24, 1873, he married Sallie E. Linton in Montgomery; they had two children. They moved to Montgomery County in January 1875, and McComb became well known as a member of the Democratic party there. He served in the Fifteenth, Sixteenth, and Seventeenth state legislatures and was twice chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. He also served as a presidential elector for Grover Cleveland. From 1872 to 1891 he was a delegate to state Democratic conventions, and in 1880 he was a delegate to the national Democratic convention. In 1885 he was appointed United States attorney for the Eastern District of Texas, a post he held until 1889. He was a charter member, director, and chairman of the executive committee of the Central and Montgomery Railway Company. McComb was described as a champion of public schools and a benefactor of schools, charities, and churches. He was also known for his oratory on the floor of the Texas House. He was a Mason.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Lewis E. Daniell, Types of Successful Men in Texas (Austin: Von Boeckmann, 1890). Montgomery County Genealogical Society, Montgomery County History (Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1981).

Rebecca L. Borjas

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Rebecca L. Borjas, "MCCOMB, JOHN EVANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmc17), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

TSHA Links