MCDONALD, DONALD (1789–1884). Donald McDonald, commissioner, political representative, soldier, and sheriff of San Augustine County, was born on January 23, 1789, in West Canada. He served as captain in the British army during the War of 1812 and participated in the battle of Lundy's Lane on July 25, 1814. He immigrated to Texas about 1826 and, in partnership with Wyatt Hanks, built a sawmill and gin near the site of present San Augustine that provided Ayish Bayou with lumber. For a year or two afterwards he operated a ferry for James Gaines on the Sabine River. McDonald was a representative of the Ayish Bayou District at the Convention of 1832 and the Consultationqqv of 1835. He was appointed with Samuel S. Davis and William Nash as a commissioner to enlist volunteers for the Texas army under John G. Love, primary judge, and was a volunteer in Capt. William Scurlockqv's company. McDonald was a master Mason, a charter member of McFarland's Lodge, and Worshipful Master in 1847. He was sheriff of San Augustine County for two terms, 1856–60. About 1830 he married Maria Louisa Maxmillion, with whom he had five children. He married Martha Lomax on February 22, 1843, and they had one child. On January 30, 1854, he married Elizabeth Hightower; they had no children. McDonald died on May 2, 1884, and was buried in the Farrar Cemetery, six miles south of San Augustine.
George L. Crocket, Two Centuries in East Texas (Dallas: Southwest, 1932; facsimile reprod., 1962). Mary Smith Fay, War of 1812 Veterans in Texas (New Orleans: Polyanthos, 1979). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). Gifford E. White, Character Certificates in the General Land Office of Texas (1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.McXie Whitton Martin, "MCDONALD, DONALD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmc42), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.