MCKINSEY, HUGH (?–?). Hugh McKinsey (McKenzie), one of the Old Three Hundred, was born in Scotland. He was a partner of John Smithqv. On August 3, 1824, the two received a land grant for a sitio in League No. 6 on the Colorado River in Wharton County. They divided the land on May 31, 1825. The census of 1826 listed both McKinsey and Smith as single men between twenty-five and forty years old. They were farmers and stock raisers. Hugh McKinsey was present on July 19, 1824, when William Rabb received the title to his Fayette County land. He and Stephen F. Austin watched as Rabb "shouted aloud, threw stones, and pulled herbs." McKinsey served in the Texas army from March 1 to June 1, 1836. He was in Col. Edward Burleson's First Regiment of Texas Volunteers. At San Jacinto he fought with Company F under the command of Capt. W. J. E. Heard. On May 15, 1838, he received a bounty warrant for 320 acres and a donation certificate for 640 acres for this service. He sold his share of League No. 6 in Wharton County to William A. Alley, Jr.qv, for $2,000 on March 13, 1837. Census reports show that McKinsey was still living in the area in 1840.
Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Colorado County Historical Commission, Colorado County Chronicles from the Beginning to 1923 (2 vols., Austin: Nortex, 1986). Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Muster Rolls of the Texas Revolution (Austin, 1986). Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986). Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835–1888 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967). Leonie L. Weyand, Early History of Fayette County, 1822–1865 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1932).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Barbara L. Young, "MCKINSEY, HUGH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmc76), accessed July 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.