MILBURN, DAVID H.
MILBURN, DAVID H. (?–ca. 1851). David H. Milburn was a partner of Thomas Davis as one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists. The partners received title to a league of land on the west bank of the Brazos River in what is now southeastern Austin County on July 29, 1824. The census of March 1826 listed Milburn as a single man, aged between twenty-five and forty. He later married a Mrs. Farr, a daughter of James Briton (Brit) Baileyqv. In 1832 Milburn was living at Brazoria and was in charge of a group of men sent to the assistance of George B. McKinstry at the mouth of the Brazos River. In December 1836, with John P. Coles and Ammon Underwood,qqv Milburn organized a mercantile business, probably at Marion. He was appointed overseer of the roads in the fourth Brazoria district in February 1837. He died before June 11, 1851, when his daughter, Mary, married Benjamin F. Atkins.
Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). James K. Greer, "The Journal of Ammon Underwood, 1834–1838," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 32 (October 1928). Charles Adams Gulick, Jr., Harriet Smither, et al., eds., The Papers of Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (6 vols., Austin: Texas State Library, 1920–27; rpt., Austin: Pemberton Press, 1968). Telegraph and Texas Register, March 14, 1837. Texas State Gazette, July 5, 1851.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MILBURN, DAVID H.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmi06), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.