MILES, ALBERT BALDWIN
MILES, ALBERT BALDWIN (1852–1894). Albert Baldwin Miles, physician, son of Benjamin Franklin and Sarah Albertine Miles, was born at Prattville, Alabama, on May 18, 1852. The family moved to Union County, Arkansas, in 1857 and soon afterward to Lawsonville, Texas. After the death of his parents in 1864 and 1865, Miles lived with an uncle, who later sent him to Gordon Institute in Arkansas and to the University of Virginia. Miles entered the medical department of the University of Louisiana (now Tulane University) in 1872. After graduating in 1875 as valedictorian of his class, he remained in New Orleans, where he successively held posts of demonstrator of anatomy, professor of materia medica and therapeutics, and professor of surgery at the University of Louisiana, acting physician at Hotel Dieu, and house surgeon at Charity Hospital.
As a surgeon, Miles had a notable reputation for his success in treating gunshot wounds. He was the author of a number of articles on the treatment of these cases. He was president of the Louisiana Medical Society when the Medical Practice Bill was finally passed by the Louisiana legislature. He was largely responsible for the founding of the Charity Hospital Training School for Nurses and was the first dean of its faculty.
Miles died on August 5, 1894, and was buried in the family cemetery at Lawsonville, Texas. He never married. His will provided for an endowment for Tulane University, where the Miles Amphitheatre was named in his honor.
Students of the University of Virginia: A Semi-Centennial Catalogue with Brief Biographical Sketches (Baltimore: Harvey, 1878). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Myrtis Watkins, "MILES, ALBERT BALDWIN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmi08), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.