MILES, EDWARD (1816–1889). Edward Miles, Texas army soldier and clerk, son of Edward Miles, was born in Natchez, Mississippi, in 1816. The family moved to Texas in 1829 and settled at Old River, at the head of Galveston Bay. Miles took part in the Anahuac Disturbances in 1832. After his father's death in 1833 he went back to Natchez for a time, but at the outbreak of the Texas Revolution he returned to Texas; he served in the battle of San Jacinto under Capt. William Wood. He continued in the army and on September 10, 1836, was transferred to the company of Capt. Thomas Pratt.
Miles enlisted in the United States Army in 1846 and was in charge of ammunition at the battle of Palo Alto during the Mexican War. He was in the Confederate service in some capacity during the entire Civil War, first as clerk to the secession commissioners at San Antonio, then as clerk in the ordnance department, as chief clerk in the quartermaster's department in Arkansas, and as agent's clerk for receiving and shipping cotton on the Rio Grande.
On October 31, 1850, Miles married Mary Ann Soye, a ward of John McMullenqv; they had one daughter. Miles held various official positions in San Antonio and Bexar County and was a member of the Texas Veterans Association. He died in San Antonio on April 1, 1889.
Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto (Houston: Anson Jones, 1932). Galveston Daily News, April 2, 1889. San Antonio Express, April 16, 1933. William S. Speer and John H. Brown, eds., Encyclopedia of the New West (Marshall, Texas: United States Biographical Publishing, 1881; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978). Texas State Gazette, November 16, 1850. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dorman H. Winfrey, "MILES, EDWARD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmi09), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.