Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

MOON, WILLIAM WASHINGTON

MOON, WILLIAM WASHINGTON (1814–1897). William Washington Moon, soldier, Texas Ranger, and sheriff, was born on March 25, 1814, in Madison County, Alabama, the son of Joseph and Martha (Moore) Moon. His mother died at his birth, and his father was killed in the battle of Horseshoe Bend two days later. He grew up in Jackson County, Alabama, in the home of an uncle, and married Sophronia E. Sublett on May 12, 1834. He served in the Indian wars in Florida in 1836, and in 1838 the Moons, with a caravan of friends and relatives, moved to Bastrop, Texas. Moon was granted land in Milam's District in 1839 (see MILAM COUNTY, ROBERTSON COLONY). He served as a Texas Ranger and participated in the Plum Creek Fight. He made his first trip to San Marcos Springs in 1843 and after two years moved there and started a settlement; other settlers soon arrived. His wife died in 1846, leaving him with four small daughters. He enlisted for service in the Mexican War on October 22, 1846, from San Marcos.

Moon was among the signers of a petition to establish Hays County. In the first county election on August 7, 1848, he was elected constable. He had a hotel in 1849, which became a stage stop in 1850. He was elected sheriff of Hays County on August 29, 1851. He joined the home guard and served as captain in 1860–61, and during the Civil War he served in the Thirty-sixth Texas Cavalry, C.S.A. After the war he directed cattle drives as far as Red River Station and is said to have had a blacksmith shop in San Marcos. Moon died on January 7, 1897.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Tula Townsend Wyatt, Historical Markers in Hays County (San Marcos, Texas: Hays County Historical Commission, 1977).

Tula Townsend Wyatt

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Tula Townsend Wyatt, "MOON, WILLIAM WASHINGTON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmo23), accessed July 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.